1. Name: Prof. BAL KRISHAN
2. Father’s Name : Late Sh. RAM PARKASH
3. Date of Birth : 16th May, 1953
4. Permanent Address : Bali Villa Near New Court Complex, Chakker, Shimla
5. Address for Correspondence : Set No -6, Kailash Niwas Fingask Estate, Shimla 171003
Vision for Higher Education in the State:
To bring Higher Education in the Pradesh at par with international standards in terms of course curriculum, teaching methods, research work and employability.
I envisage major changes like:
Non commercialisation of higher education in the state
Improvement in the quality of higher education
More emphasis on job oriented and professional courses
Steps to improve the performance of private universities
Improvement in HP Technical University
Regional balance in opening of Universities
- Chairman, Department of Commerce. (1990-1992, 1992-1997, 1999-2001)
- Dean, Faculty of Commerce and Business Administrative 1992-1994.
- Member of various Administrative Bodies of the University, namely Executive Council, Finance Committee, Academic Council, University Court, etc.
- Member of CDC of Commerce, U.G.C for the year 2001-2002.
- Dean Planning and Teachers’ Matters in Himachal Pradesh University
- Member of Research Degree Committee of JivaJi University, Gwalior, Punjabi University, Patiala; Punjab University, Chandigarh, Guru Jamweshwar University, Hissar.
- First President of Himachal Pradesh University Alumni Association and in the formation of this body
- Technical Advisor to the Vice Chancellor, HPU
- Associated with Faculty Development Programmes of various universities namely Punjabi University, Patiala; Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar; Sokadia University, Udaipur; Fathegarh Engineering College, Fathegarh; IMS, Dehradun; Central University, Dharamshala; Guru Jamveshver University, Hissar, Maha Rishi Dayanand University, Rohtak, NIT, Hamirpur, and many other institutions.
- Associated with Union Public Service Commission New Delhi.
- Associated with Public Service Commission of Himachal Pradesh, Public Service Commission of Jammu & Kashmir
- Associated with teaching and training programmes of HIPA, IGNOU, HIMCON. H.P Directorate of Industries,
- Associated with teaching in Department of Business Administration in the Poddar Institute of Management University of Rajasthan, Jaipur the last fifteen years.
- Professor, Department of Commerce, March, 1992 on wards.
- Associate Professor, Department of Commerce, P.G. Centre, from May, 1990 to March 1992.
- Associate Professor in the Department of Commerce, D.C.C. from January 1990 to May, 1990.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Commerce and Management Studies, from Sept. 1977 to Jan. 1990.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Commerce in D.C.C. from March, 1966 to Sept.1977.
- Evaluator, D.C.C. from Sept. 1975 to March, 1976.
- Ph.D., “Capital Structure Planning in Private Sector, Enterprises in India”, 1983.
- M.Phil, First Division, Gold Medallist, H.P. University, July, 1979.
- M.B.A., First Division, Gold Medallist, H.P. University, July, 1975.
- B.Com., First Division, Punjab University, April, 1973.
- Hr. Sec.II, (Non-Medical), First Division, Merit list, Himachal Board, March, 1970.
- Hr. Sec.I, (Non-Medical), First Division, Merit Holder, Punjab University, March, 1969.
- A Study of Brand Loyalty in Battery Cells - a Markov Chain Analysis.
- Export Marketing strategy of Non- traditional Items for India.
- Cost of Capital and Valuation of firm- An Empirical Analysis.
- Capital Structure Planning in Private Sector enterprises in India.
- Present Investment Pattern in the Apple Growing Belt of Himachal Pradesh.
- Modernisation of Fruit Processing Industries in Himachal Pradesh (Vol. I)
- Rural Indebtedness Himachal Pradesh - A Zone wise Comparative Study (U.G.C. sponsored major research project)
- Regional disparities in Economic Assistance in Tribal Areas of Himachal Pradesh.
- Dropout of Children in Himachal Pradesh
- Attendance Rate at Primary AND Secondary Schools in HP, A Study Sponsored By Ed Cil, Ministry if HRD, New Delhi.
At Ph.D. Level
- Determinants of Security Prices in India.
- Performance Appraisal of Commercial Banks in India.
- Dimensions of Regional Disparities in Commercial Banks in India.
- An Appraisal of Industrial Security Markets in India.
- Project Appraisal System for Agro-based Projects in H.P.
- An Appraisal of Fruit Processing Industry in H.P.
- Role of Mass Media in Development of H.P.
- A Critical Appraisal of Financing of Universities in Punjab.
- Performance Evaluation of Mutual Funds in India
- Performance Evaluation if Public and Private banks in India
At M.Phil Level
Guided more than 30 Research Projects at M.Phil level. Some of them are:
- Capital Structure and Cost of Capital
- Potential of Herbal Industries in Himachal Pradesh
- Project Approval of Agro-based Industries in Himachal Pradesh
- Financial Analysis of Nangal Fertilizers Corporation
- Financial Strategy of Private Sector Giant Corporation in India
- Role of Foreign Aided Project in Economic Development of Himachal Pradesh
- Valuation of Industrial Security Prices in India
- Cash Management in HPMC
- Ownership Pattern in Securities in Private Sector Enterprises in India
- Financing of Small Scale Industries in Himachal Pradesh
- Financial Performance of Public Undertaking in H.P. – A Case Study of Himachal
- Pradesh Financial Corporation.
- Commercial Banking in India – An Appraisal of Trends and Projects
- Management of Funds by Commercial Banks in India
- Industrial Sickness in Parwanoo (H.P.)
- New Issue Market in India
- Problems and Prospects of Tourism Industries in Himachal Pradesh
- Behaviour of Security Prices in India
- Role of Financial Institution in Industrial Development of H.P.
- Working Capital Management in Commercial Undertakings
- Financial Assistance by the Public Financial Institution
And Guided More than 50 students at M.B.A. and M.F.C. Level.
(a) Industrial Securities Market in India, Common Wealth, New
(b) Securities Markets in India, Kanishka Publisher, New Delhi.
(c) MCQ in Commerce
(a) Statistical Methods for Business
(b) Management Quiz
- Member of Regional Advisory Committee of Workers’ Education Centre, Shimla.
- Central Labour Education Board, Government of India.
- Member of Various Committee like Finance Committee, Academic Council, Universe Court etc.
- Member Commerce Panel of University Grant Commission for designing the commerce curriculum.
List of Publications:
- A Statistical Analysis of Financial Variables of Private Sector Enterprises in India.
- Determinants of Capital Structure in Private Sector Enterprises in India.
- Pattern of Financing Growth in Private Sector Enterprises in India.
- A Study of Brand Loyalty in Battery Cells – a Markov Chain Analysis.
- Determinants of Equity Prices in India.
- Performance Evaluation of Nationalised Banking in India.
Social Responsibility through Audit.
- Impact of Changing Structure of Commercial Banks: Income and Expenditure on Profitability.
- Trends of Capital Structures in Private Sector Enterprises in India.
- Dimensions of Rural Disparities in Commercial Banking in Rural India.
- Role of Commercial Banks in Removing Banking Disparities in Rural India.
- Regional Disparities in Commercial Banking in India.
- Financial Awareness in Science and Technical Entrepreneur.
- Potential Agro and Food Projects in H.P.
- Measurement of Portfolio Risk.
Presentations at Seminars, Workshops and Conferences:
- Participated in a conference on “Export Marketing” sponsored by UNCTAD and Government of India held at Chandigarh in November, 1978.
- Participated in All India Seminar on “Workers Participation in Management” held at Shimla in March, 1979.
- Participated in a Seminar on “Economic Development of Western Himalayas” held at Shimla in December, 1982.
- Organised on Annual Conference and All India Accounting Seminar at Shimla in October, 1983.
- Participated in Ist Workshop of STEP, held in Shimla in November, 1985.
- Participated in National Seminar on “Government and Business Environment in India” held at Jaipur in November, 1985.
- Participated in IInd conference of H.P. Economic Association, held at Shimla in March, 1986.
- Participated in a Seminar on ‘University-Industry Interaction held at Shimla in May, 1987.
- Workshop on Entrepreneurial Development in Himachal Pradesh organised by STEP at Shimla in October, 1988.
- Attended in workshop on Opportunity Identification in Agro-and Food Based Products in H.P. in November, 1988.
- Participated in workshop on Opportunity Identification in Electronic and Electronics Industries in H.P. in November, 1988.
- Participated in workshop in Opportunity Identification in Chemicals and Chemical Products in H.P. in November, 1988.
- Participated in a Seminar on ‘Indian Industry in Nineties’ held at Shimla in March, 1990.
- Participated in a Seminar on ‘University-Industry Interaction’ held at Shimla in May, 1987.
- Co-ordinated the M.Com. Contact Programme at Delhi, Patiala, Ludhiana and Shimla.
- Participated in the Seminar on ‘Distance Education, Policy Perspectives and Principles’ organised by the Director, Directorate of Correspondence Courses in May, 1990.
- Co-ordinated the Six Refresher Courses for the commerce and management teachers in Academic Staff College.
- Participated in Seminar on ‘use of Hindi in Management Education’ held at Jaipur on 28-28 October, 1993 sponsored by U.G.C.
- Participated in Seminar on ‘Management Education in 2000 A.D.’ held at Jaipur on March 16-17, 1996.
- Participated in Seminar on ‘Challenges in 2000 A.D.’ held at Udaipur.
- Organised Six Refresher Courses in Commerce in Academic Staff College, H.P.U. Shimla.
- Participated in Seminar Organised by Poddar Institute of Management, sponsored by UGC on the theme “Application of Hindi in Management Education” from 28-29 Oct., 1993.
- Participated in “All India Conference of Commerce at Kurukshetra in 1995-96.
- Participated in Seminar Organized by Poddar Institute of Management on the theme Management by 2000 AD in April 1996.
- Participated in Seminar on “Financial Sector Reforms – an unfinished Agenda” on 18th March, 2000.
- Participated in Workshop Organized by Guru Jamveshwer University Hisar on Derivative from 3-4 Sept., 2002.
- Participated in Workshop on Commerce Curriculum at Punjab University on 16th Nov., 2002.
- Chaired the Technical sessions in Punjab University, Chandigarh; Punjabi University , Patiala; Guru Jamweshwar University, Hissar, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar; Galaxy Institute of Management, Shabad, Haryana; International Seminar at Bangkok